In December 2011, Tata Institute of Social Sciences set up the School of Vocational Education (SVE) to provide immediate and definite interventions to improve the skill levels of millions of youth, through appropriate vocational training programmes. The target beneficiaries include organized and unorganized workforce across the industries and SVE aims to cover every individual who needs to develop employable skills. A vision of creating an ecosystem that would bring back the dignity of labour to all professions and occupations to create sustainable sources of income for the blue collar workforce and youth in the country.
MODEL: The approach adopted by TISS-SVE is called the Work Integrated Training Programme (WITP). The Vocational Educational Programme is being implemented for the first time in India with a focus on job-specific skills rather than providing only a broad knowledge based education.
MISSION, VISION AND AIM
MISSION: Offer equal opportunities to ALL thereby enabling the youth to unleash their latent potential.
VISION: To facilitate the youth, especially the first generation learners to take up industry relevant skill training that will help them in securing a better livelihood, thereby consequently enhancing the economy of the nation.
AIM: The aim is ‘Earn while you learn’. The model enables the students to learn the skills by engaging in on-the-job training at real shop floor of the industry/company along with theory training in the classroom. Through the model, the trainee may also earn a modest stipend during on-the-job training of the course. Although, this is not mandatory for any institution, TISS-SVE strongly encourages its Skill Knowledge Providers (SKPs) to adopt this practice.
Bachelor of Vocational Education:
TISS-SVE currently offers several programmes beginning with a Diploma course and leading to Bachelor of Vocational Degree [B. Voc] in three years. Every individual level / year is a stand-alone certification recognised and awarded by TISS as deemed to be a university.
These programmes allow the students after their 12th standard or equivalent; to join directly at NSQF Level 5, based on their academic achievements.
The target group for these programmes are largely marginalized youth who are seeking non-formal educational methods to enhance earning capabilities and thereby improve their livelihood conditions. B. Voc. programmes follow flexibility and progression in education, as elaborated:
Student eligibility criteria for B.Voc.:
a) HSC / equivalent OR
b) SSC 2years of ITI
Short Term & Skill Enhancement Programmes:
These Programmes are for the professionals or (in some cases fresh graduates) who seek to enhance earning capabilities through upgradation of skills which are in demand in industry. The duration of these courses will range from a few weeks up to under a year. Depending on the duration, the certification awarded will be titled as Diploma or Certificate.
Benefits of the Training Programme:
- The initiative enables those who have been dropped out of the formal education system after 12th standard, to pursue education in the vocational streams.
- It helps organizations upgrade the skill of its blue collar workforce by giving them an opportunity to enroll in a recognized vocational diploma / degree programme without having to leave their job.
- It helps organizations get a higher retention, efficiency and productivity of workforce.
- Trainees / Employees enrolled as students have to undergo around 12 hours per week of the theoretical training and complete practical training whence on-the-job.
- Practical training imparted by skill knowledge providers (SKPs) is based on specifically defined learning outcomes.
- Examination & certification by TISS-SVE brings in the required rigor and promotes high standards.
- Industries that employ part-times, temporary or seasonal workforce can take TISS-SVE students and provide them with internship opportunities.
- As per NEEM Guidelines, the enrolled student is labelled as the “trainee” can be engaged in the on-the-job training for a duration of 3 months to 36 months.
- Innovative programmes based on industry requirements are being offered by TISS (a reputed institute) at various locations across the length and breadth of the country.